Come join us for a guide walk and tour of the Brooks Estate!
The Brooks family first settled in Medford in the late seventeenth century, when the Estate consisted of some 400 acres of woods and farm. The family was one of Massachusetts' most prominent and was heavily involved in the civic life of Medford.
In the mid-nineteenth century Peter Chardon Brooks III and Shepherd Brooks each constructed summer estates. In 1859 Peter built his home, Point of Rocks, designed by Calvert Vaux, at the highest point on the property. Shepherd built Acorn Hill (the Manor) in 1880, to a design by Peabody and Stearns. Both families lived most of the year in Boston, but summered in Medford, then in beginning stages of its transition from farm town to suburb.
Use "275 Grove Street, Medford" for Google Maps; pin will be at the Manor.